Wednesday 25 September 2013

Frock up Brisbane – The Way We Wear Fair Mount Gravatt

A couple of weeks ago,  my workmate Miss B and I secured some tickets to the Brisbane Gangsters' Ball. We spent the next couple of weeks trying to decide exactly what we'd wear to it. Hoping for inspiration, we headed to the opening night of Frock Up Brisbane at Mount Gravatt Showgrounds. 
A part of The Way We Wear Vintage Fair, Frock Up Brisbane is, to my knowledge, a smaller more compact version of the Love Vintage Shows. I have tried to get along to the Sydney Frock Up fair in past years, but having a weekend job and the location made it too far. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but as soon as we walked in, I recognised quite a few of the retailers from the market circuit (it made me realise just how much time I spend at vintage markets and fairs).
Spread across three exhibition sheds, the fair was full of vintage and repro clothing, homewares and bric-a-brac, vintage jewellery. It had a good atmosphere and while it was very cramped and busy, people were polite and not too pushy and I was really impressed how patient everyone queuing for the change rooms were when I went in with three dresses and had to keep running halfway across the room to find a mirror!
I think the fair would have benefited from being a bit more spread out into bigger halls, and I really wish that someone had had the foresight to put a mirror in the main change room in the biggest hall — not everyone wants to come out and show off their outfit while they’re trying to decide if they want to buy it!
The fair had a good range and both B and I picked up dresses  (mine was this fab little orange Len Vogue number from the 60s with a matching coat – it makes me feel very Megan Draper), but neither of us found an outfit for the Gangsters’ Ball (stay tuned over the next few days for a post about the outfits we did eventually wear to the ball!). 


I’ll be putting this fair in the calendar again for next year in case I have a quiet weekend (there will be another fair in Autumn 2014). It was good for a browse and spending a pleasant few hours with my friend, but I don’t think it will be a must-do vintage event.

No comments:

Post a Comment