Tuesday 24 March 2015

Tess Holliday & #EffYourBeautyStandards

I hate it when people tell other people what to wear. I've talked about this before, but just to recap, my general opinion is that you should wear whatever you feel comfortable in. Don't be dictated to by those 'what's hot and what's not' articles in magazines, don't listen to anyone who tells you to dress your age, dress to your shape, etc etc. Dress in what makes you feel comfortable. 

We all have body hangups (obviously, one of mine is my teeth), and buttons that people can push, but I think it's really important to love yourself, flaws and all, because no one is perfect. Some days, I'm not so great at taking my own advice, but that's why I'm really glad that I discovered the #EffYourBeautyStandards movement. 

Created by Tess Holliday, who is a plus sized model (I actually don't love that term, but this is taken from Tess' bio) and body-positive activist and blogger, #EffYourBeautyStandards is all about beauty. That is, the fact that everyone, big or small or anywhere in between, is beautiful. In a world where negativity, trolling, shaming, heckling, cat-calling and all of those other things are rife, this is my favourite online movement ever because it is 100% positive. When I'm having a bad day, I logon to instagram and trawl through the #EffYourBeautyStandards Instagram, or even just the hashtag, look at the pictures and read people's inspiring and positive stories. It's fabulous. 

Tess is married to an Aussie bloke, which means she comes to the land down under quite a bit. Recently, she did an event at Mimsy's Trailer Trash Tattoo, and stood for hours in a baking hot warehouse, posing for photos and selfies, hugging everyone and spreading her own special brand of positivity. Tess is stunning human being. Inside and out.


I know she's helped a lot of people look at themselves in a different light, and realise their own self worth. Judging by the line at Mimsy's, there are thousands of girls, all over the world who have been effected by this movement, which I think, given the amount of negative crap I see online constantly, is super refreshing. This is a movement I want to be involved in! 



So, if you're looking for some positivity in your online life, I would definitely recommend you check out Tess on Facebook and Instagram, and make sure the #EffYourBeautyStandards Instagram, Facebook and hashtag are bookmarked too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment